From inducing sleep to healing minor cuts and burns, lavender is a must-have in the cabinets of every natural beauty or kitchen witch. Here are just a few of the reasons to love this miracle herb:
1. Beauty sleep. Lavender is best known for its ability to relieve stress and induce sleep and relaxation. If you're suffering from insomnia or find yourself restless, place a lavender sachet into or near your pillow, or take a bath before bed with my Lavender Bathing Salts.
2. Fights acne. Because of its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, lavender essential oil fights bacteria that causes acne infections and reduces swelling and redness. It also works great as an astringent because it helps normalize oil production. For spot treatment, you can apply lavender essential oil can be directly to acne blemishes with a cotton swab.
3. Renews skin. As an antioxidant, lavender essential oil aids in the skin cell renewal process, making it a champion at firming skin and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It also protects against and relieves sun damage. Another great reason to use my Lavender Sugar Scrub — which can also be used as a facial scrub.
4. Heals burns, wounds, scars, and chapped lips. Aside from fighting acne, Lavender's antiseptic and anti-inflammatory attributes make it beneficial for relieving pain and healing burns, wounds, scars, and chapped lips.
5. Promotes a healthy scalp. Lavender improves blood circulation, treats dandruff, and reduces hair loss, making it a great addition to a hair rinse or conditioner. And, it kills lice! It's especially effective when paired with tea tree oil. Need more lavender in your life? I use lavender essential oil and flower powder in my Lavender Bathing Salts and Lavender Sugar Scrubs.
Warning: Do not use lavender essential oil if you are pregnant or nursing.
Photo of florapothecarie founder Sami Jo Jensen thanks to MOJALVO.