Coconut oil is a wondrous natural ingredient, which is why it's mixed in to so many of my products. Here are six reasons to love coconut oil:
1. Incredibly moisturizing. Coconut oil is full of fatty acids which lock in moisture by reinforcing our skin’s natural lipid barrier. This makes it a great one-ingredient fix for dry patches of skin, including lips. That’s why I put it in all of my body scrubs as well as my deodorant cream and whipped body butter. Keep in mind that coconut oil is comedogenic (it clogs pores), so it isn't recommended as a daily moisturizer.
2. Removes makeup. On its own, coconut oil is great at removing makeup, and is safe to use even on your eyes. Just spread on your face, then remove with a cotton ball.
3. Prevents dandruff. As a hydrating conditioner, coconut oil can prevent dandruff. Comb 1-2 tablespoons into your hair starting at the scalp and leave in for 10-20 minutes before rinsing it off in the shower. Be careful – it will make the shower floor or bathtub slippery!
4. Hair tamer. Just a little bit of coconut oil is all you need to smooth frizz and fly-aways.
5. Renews skin. The high concentration of Vitamin E and proteins in coconut oil promote cellular health and tissue repair. These processes renew skin and prevent premature aging.
6. Vegan lubricant. Coconut oil is a natural, vegan-friendly lubricant — but do not use it with latex condoms.