Winter has arrived. Here in New England, this means dry air, freezing (and below-freezing) temperatures, and sometimes even snow! I do love the snow part, but the rest? Not so much. Here are some tips for taking care of your skin during these harsh winter months, and the products we recommend using:
1. Hydrate. Drink lots of water or coconut water. Yes, this is in all of our skincare tips posts, because it's so important to stay hydrated year-round! Some people (myself included) aren’t big on the taste of coconut water, but if you can get past that, it really is an amazing hydrator — some say it hydrates even better than water because it’s chock full of electrolytes and rich in potassium. Try adding it to smoothies if you're not a fan of it on its own.
2. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. I'm talking about your face and body. This is especially important if you tend to take hotter showers or bath during the winter to stay warm, or if you're participating in a lot of outdoor winter activities. Our Coco Balm is perfect for your lips or any small, dry patches of skin (or eczema), but fans love our 100% organic, super-nourishing Whipped Body Butter for all-over body use. Many of our customers even use it as a daily moisturizer, though we do caution against that because the coconut oil in it can clog pores. Instead, we suggest our Rejuvenating Facial Serum. Want something a little lighter for your body? Try a Body Oil.
3. Speaking of taking hot baths, if you're guilty of this (I totally am!), add some vegan milk or coconut milk powder to your bath to prevent from drying out your skin. Have you seen our Rose & Coconut Milk Bath? It's made with coconut milk powder, which is packed with vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5, B6, potassium, and folate to nourish and hydrate skin and hair.
4. Exfoliate! Just as it’s important to exfoliate your face regularly, it’s crucial to exfoliate your body, too, especially in the winter. Our sugar and salt scrubs get rid of dry, flaky skin as coconut, jojoba, and Vitamin E oils swoop in to moisturize. We have a Coffee Sugar Scrub (coffee grounds add extra exfoliation), Lavender Sugar Scrub, and Rose Himalayan Salt Scrub, and they're gentle enough to use on your face or body. If you'd prefer an even gentler exfoliator for your face, try our Tropical Enzyme Exfoliating Cleanser.
5. Gentle cleansing. Whether or not you’re prone to dry skin, seek out cleansers formulated without harsh, drying ingredients and surfactants. Our Rose & Willow Facial Cleanser is made with hydrating aloe and rosewater and skin-loving jojoba oil, Castile soap, and vegetable glycerine, which provide your skin with more moisture, while also effectively cleaning it alongside white willow bark and tea tree oil.
Our Top Winter Must-Have Products: