Buy Local or Bye Local!
Photo credit: @woodees_boutique in Westerly, RI
It's been a tough year for small businesses, and for many of you as well. We know the holidays are going to look very different. If you're able to buy gifts for your loved ones this year, please consider supporting small businesses over Amazon or big box stores. Here are a few reasons to shop small & local:
1. When you buy from a small business, you're supporting a real person's dream! A real person who would probably high five you if it weren't for, you know, a pandemic. (I know I would!)
2. Stimulate the local economy. The sales tax small businesses pay stay in the local economy to fund local schools, libraries, parks, street improvements, firefighters, and other public services. According to Civic Economics, on average, 48% of each purchase at local independent businesses is recirculated locally, compared to less than 14% of purchases at chain stores.
3. Local businesses that do well will grow and hire local people. The Small Business Administration reports that local businesses added 8 million jobs to the American economy since 1990 while the expansion of large chains reduced jobs by 4 million.
4. Successful small businesses attract more businesses (and therefore more jobs) to the community. Many small business owners also give back by encouraging and mentoring other entrepreneurs, and purchasing products or services from other local small businesses.
5. Small businesses support local charities. They donate profits, services, and goods to local (rather than national) non-profits and charities.
6. We get to know our customers. You're not just a wallet to a small business - when you shop with us, we get to know your name, your kids' names, your favorite products, and anecdotes you've told us. We genuinely care about you and your well-being.
If you can shop, shop small this holiday season. Support your local entrepreneurs, boost your local economy, and give some great local gifts. Everyone wins! And if you're not in the position to shop, support your local businesses by telling others about them, either through word of mouth or sharing their social media posts. Every "share" really does help! 💕