Summer Skincare Tips
Summer is upon us!
Depending on where you're located, you may experience increased humidity with the rise in temperatures, or you might have incredibly dry air. No matter where you are, these tips will ensure you're taking proper care of your skin during the summer months.
Summer Skincare Tips, Precautions & Product Recommendations:
1. Wear Sunscreen. This is a must if you're spending any amount of time over 10 minutes outdoors during the summer. We don't currently make a sunscreen, but we're fans of Alba Botanica's Hawaiian Sunscreen and Goddess Garden Sport Mineral Sunscreen.
2. Stay Hydrated. Another obvious one, but worth including for two reasons: a) we don't drink nearly as much water as we should, and b) it takes a while for water we drink to hydrate our skin. So make sure you're using something topical as well. Our Rose & Tea Facial Toner is incredibly hydrating because it's made with rosewater, green tea extract, and aloe vera, plus witch hazel to tighten pores and cool you down.
3. Cleanse After Sweating. When we sweat, our body releases toxins and mixes with any dirt that might be on our skin, so if we don't wash ourselves soon after, guess where all of that dirt goes? Right back into your pores! Even if you get sunburn, it's important to clean your skin after sweating. Go with something gentle like our Rose & Willow Facial Cleanser or our Tropical Enzyme Exfoliating Cleanser for a little exfoliating action. Use caution when cleansing if you have sunburn.
4. Exfoliate. Speaking of exfoliating - this should also be part of your summer skincare routine. (Really, your year-round routine!) Dead skin and sweat will combine to really clog up your pores this time of year, so make sure you're exfoliating regularly - two to three times a week is ideal. Our Lavender & Chamomile or Rose & Hibiscus Cleansing Grains are wonderfully gentle (and gluten-free!) exfoliants — just combine with a cleanser, water, or oil to use. Tropical Enzyme Exfoliating Cleanser is exfoliates primarily with non-abrasive pineapple and papaya enzymes, alongside gentle bamboo beads. It works even better as a mask! Do not use if you have sunburn.
5. Deep Clean. If you're traveling or sweating, chances are your skin is picking up more dirt than it might during any other season. This is a good time to do some deep cleaning with our Charcoal Mask. Because it can hold up to 200x its weight in impurities, activated charcoal is reeeally effective at deep cleaning. (More on why we love charcoal here.) When using our Charcoal Mask, you'll feel your skin tightening and charcoal pulling everything to the surface. Because of this, some natural beauties report having a breakout right after using a charcoal mask, but this is fairly rare. If you have very sensitive or dry skin, opt for our more gentle but still antioxidant-rich Matcha Mask.
6. Take Your Favorite Skincare Wherever You Go. Don't sacrifice your skin's health when you're traveling! Did you know we have TSA-approved travel-sized facial care sets? Our Essential Facial Care Set comes with mini versions of our Rose & Willow Cleanser, Rose & Tea Facial Toner, and Rejuvenating Facial Serum. The Deluxe Facial Care Set comes with all of these plus a mini mask of your choice.